To avoid unnecessary delays in processing your request, please be as specific as possible about the records you are requesting. If a request is vague or overly broad, (e.g. “all documents” on a topic, “all emails” for multiple people or not including a specific timeframe). It could require an extension and take longer to identify and collect potentially responsive records.
- It is not necessary to enter the same request multiple times for each applicable department. Open Records staff can assign one request to multiple departments.
- A valid email address is required to access your request.
- Do not include personal information, e.g. your full social security number in your request, only provide the last four of your social.
- If you do not know the name of the record, describe the information you believe is contained in it.
- Be specific about what you need. Including names, dates, keywords, or other details that can help expedite the processing of your request.
- Understand that requests are processed in the order they are received.
- For email searches, keywords to be searched, time frame, and name of employee’s email to included in search will need to be provided by requestor.
The records you are requesting may already be online. The city's website is designed to provide easy access to a variety of records right at your fingertips. For instance:
- Check our Open Data Portal. Many of our requests are for data that exists on the portal.
- Contact Louisville Metro Government customer service center at Metro311 .
- Look for an Internal Audit report.
- Visit our transparency page for questions about how government spends tax dollars, information about Boards & Commissions and the Ethics tipline.
- For information (vs. actual documents or records), please contact the appropriate agency through their contact page.
- For EMS Billing Medical Records, please contact 502-574-4401 for assistance.
- For question related to LMPD open records request, please call 502-574-7660.
- For questions related to MetroSafe open records requests, please call 502-572-3530.
Non LMG Departments Contact Information